Domestic and family violence (DFV) protections
Recommended option: Improve tenancy law protections for people experiencing DFV to stay or leave safely
Tenants experiencing DFV could:
- leave quickly and safely by providing 7 days' notice to exit a tenancy and leave immediately, with their liability for end of tenancy costs capped at the 7-day notice period
- access any contribution they had made to the rental bond held for the property through simplified processes
- install security measures to assist them to stay in their rental property safely, including to change locks.
Property owners would be safeguarded by requiring:
- tenants to provide evidence they are experiencing domestic and family violence
- remaining tenants to top up the bond if a bond contribution is refunded to a tenant that has accessed the DFV protections.
Consultation has concluded